Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Charlotte

Got to explore downtown Charlotte twice today.

AM - 4.7 miles, 48:00. Slow pace due to not wanting to get lost and the fact that it's humid as fuck all down here.

PM - 6.2 miles, 60:00. Found a few cemetaries with some vets from the American Revolution buried there. Also saw some crazy police stuff, I'll check tomorrow's Charlotte Observer for the story. Thought I was gonna see a guy get shot.

Overall, not really impressed with the city. Maybe if I were a bigger nascar fan I'd enjoy it more. Do people in North Carolina not drink, 'cuz it sure is hard to get booze down here!

10 comments:

Carie said...

Welcome to running in my world beeoch.

MW said...

Oh no... Are we having to run 10+ min/miles because it's a little humid out? Guess altitude runners can't handle flat lands with thick air.
I'd say drink for whining, but sounds like you can barely do that.

Mike said...

oh god, I just realized how much of a Southerner I've become when I thought "it was humid today?"

I recommend checking out the Whitewater Center NW of town, if you get a chance, 13 miles of trails

brownie said...

The 10 minute miles are due to stopping to check things out all the time. Though last time I trained specifically at that pace I still whooped your ass at Austin!

And altitude is much harder to train in than humidity.

Carolina John said...

i don't like to claim charlotte as part of the carolina's. it's a giant town filled with rednecks and idiots, and i've never seen anything good happen there.

those people don't drink, they go to church instead. and they prefer watching people drive to actually running themselves. idiots.

brownie said...

Glad I'm on with my less than ideal impression of Charlotte. Lots of empty buildings, lots of unfinished construction. A couple o'yuppie bars but no dives. Hopefully the rest of the city isn't as lame as the downtown area.

MW said...

i wonder if there's a barefoot running club you could seek out.

Mike said...

if you're looking to run and drink tonight, there's this: http://www.meetup.com/CharlotteRunners/calendar/11389835/

4 mile course and then most of the group enjoys a few beers at a semi-hippy place

brownie said...

Damn, Mike, I saw that too late....

PlaysByEar said...

Too many Mikes on this post