Tuesday, May 12, 2009

HPb 167 - Pueblo

Had the pleasure of running with Justin this afternoon.  He's fresh off his course record from the 25K at Greenland, and his easy run was a tempo run for me, but I certainly appreciated him showing me some of his local trails.  We started at the Pueblo nature center and hit some of the rocky trails out there, catching some cool views of Pueblo resovoir and the surrounding area.  Reminded me a lot of Fruita.  As if I wasn't going to be struggling to keep pace already, it was probably ten degrees warmer than anything I've ran through so far this year.  Good times!

Start time - 4:30 PM
Distance - 9 miles
Time - 1:11:46
Pace - 7:59 per mile
Weather - 90F, sunny skies
Weight - 168 lbs

8 comments:

Shad Mika said...

Wondering why you were whining on Facebook about getting your butt kicked down there. This explains it all......

Looking at climbing a 14er on Sunday if you are interested in joining my buddy Kirk and I. Of course it will hiking and slow pace (he is not a runner) but still good alitude training. Of course this is all weather dependent. Let me know if you are interested and I will get you the details when we figure out our plans.

brownie said...

Damn, I'd love to go, but I'm off to the Jemez 50 miler this weekend!

Which 14er?

Shad Mika said...

That is right, I forgot about that race. Not sure yet, we will make up our minds on Friday after the weather forecasting firms up a little better. Most likely somewhere between here and Leadville. I want to do one that I have not done yet but those are all so darn far away, Aspen and San Juans.

brownie said...

I plan on doing a bunch in June to get ready for Hardrock. Hopefully the snow melts fast.

Shad Mika said...

Here is a trip report from Handies from this past weekend from some friends. This will show you how much snow is on the course.

http://www.14ers.com/php14ers/tripreport.php?trip=5892&cpgm=tripmain

Justin Ricks said...

I really enjoyed the run yesterday any time you are down in "Hells Furnace" just let me know. Good luck this weekend.

brownie said...

Justin, I'll definitely let you know whenever I'm down there. Will make the Pueblo trip a lot less miserable. Maybe some hill repeats next time!

Shad - looks like the snow is melting fast. But tell those guys there's only one real route for Handies - Hardrock! How long you think before Grays/Torreys, Evans, Quandry, or the more popular front range peaks are good enough to hike without snow equipment?

Shad Mika said...

I will let you know on Monday, remind if I don't. I will be able to tell you when I see it myself on Sunday. I am thinking 1st week of June you should be good on the easier ones like Grays/Quandry/ect.