Thursday, June 01, 2006

Pikes

Made it to the top of Pikes Peak again today, though I'm paying for it right now.

Took it out hard and was well under 3:30 pace at treeline, but after that things got ugly. Guess I'm not quite as used to the altitude as I thought! Had some serious bouts with dizziness and at times I had to find a good rock to sit on to just breathe and regroup. Pace slowed considerably here and I ended up hitting the top in 4:09.

I did get to pass through cloud cover though, that was cool. One minute I'm looking up at clouds right over my head. Then it got all foggy. Then suddenly I'm looking down at clouds. Pretty cool.

After a few summit donuts and a cup of joe I started back down the hill. Felt a lot better on the descent. Even added an extra five miles onto the run to go check out the Bottomless Pit, well worth the effort.

So a 30+ mile run, last long run before San Juan. The altitude sickness worries me, as much of the SJ50 is pretty high up. Might try to make it up to treeline to camp a night or two, but that's about all I can do between now and then.

6 comments:

TJ said...

Thats a great run before your 50M. Sounds like fun...

I'm heading out tomorrow afternoon for Bandera. I'll tell the 3 sisters you said hello.

Barbara said...

water water water water = no dizziness

brownie said...

TJ, stop in at the Cowboy Capital Pizza after your run, good stuff. Damn, I miss those trails...

And tell joe to have a 100 miler in January!

Pimp Doggie Dawg said...

we run through clouds all of the time down here on the coast, we just don't elaborate and call them clouds

everytime leave a post with "word verification" i am gonna write it down: dedvsd

kinda reminds me of a whole in the heart--a fatal one (ventral septal defect)

Rafael said...

Awesome shiznizzil my nizzil

brownie said...

That's smog, Pimp. Big difference.