Monday, June 12, 2006

So I walked over and quit my job at the Griffith Center today. The chick in charge of HR wasn't there, and that's who I wanted to talk to because she's been the biggest bitch to me since I was hired, but the guy who was in charge today hadn't been much better to me. He didn't say a whole lot.

The final straw was on Saturday. I received a message from the chick, saying that even though I had scheduled next weekend off before I was hired, they now needed me to work. That would have caused me to miss the San Juan Solstice 50 miler, which I put up $90 and hundreds of painful hours of training for since I moved here. That, along with some other issues I had (like working Thurs, Fri, and Sat nights every week), just didn't make me excited to go to work anymore.

Of course, it's much easier to quit a job when you start a new one the next day. I'll now be working for a company called Peer Assistance Services. It's a non-profit outfit that provides drug abuse services to local businesses (insert Chlamydia-inspired crack whore joke here) , but they are also contracted out by the State of Colorado to work with and monitor folks on parole. I've been up to the office in the Springs a few times, and it's a pretty rough looking crowd that shows up there for treatment.

Seems like a pretty cool gig. My new boss is a retired 1SG who helped run the hospital where autopsies were performed during the first gulf war. I'm fairly certain I got this job because he wanted more military folks working in the office. I'll also get to attend the five week correctional officers course down in Canon City. Which means there's a whitewater rafting trip through the Royal Gorge in my future!

They're even gonna make me go get my CO certified addictions counselor certification. More importantly, they're gonna pay for it. So it'll carry a lot more weight when I tell hashers they have a drinking problem, right before I throw up on myself from drinking too much Tuaca.

And for those worried about my ability to hold down a job for more than a month up here, fear not. Each job (this is my 4th since moving to CO in late January) has brought a pretty decent pay increase, kept the same level of medical coverage (I don't really care about other benefits - sorry jes, no more life insurance posibilities), and most important to me, just seemed like a cooler job. I'd like to say I thought I'd be at this job for a while (at least long enough for direct deposit to kick in, which hasn't happened yet), but if someone called tomorrow and said they'd double my salary to guide flatlanders up and down Pikes Peak, I'd take it in a second.

4 comments:

Asian Princess said...

Good luck Brownie! And the crack whore comment was funny. Brings back crazy memories of the crackwhore screaming while the Asian is driving on 360.

dayoldfish said...

cut your hair hippy

Rafael said...

Man, I wish I could get one new job. I must really suck, or not suck right.

brownie said...

There is a scene in the movie "The Ringer" where the retards are asking Johnny Knoxville why, if he hates his job so much, he is still at it after 2.5 years. Some of yunz should watch it. Still, the best quote of that movie is, "That kid is the Deion Sanders of retards."