Thursday, June 22, 2006

bike to work!

Last week, Colorado celebrated "Bike to Work Week." The actual national celebration was a month or two ago, but CO still had snow so they had to postpone it. Wussies.

They had events all week. Like bike safety courses, free breakfast tacos at Acacia Park for folks on two wheeles, a midnight ride, and stuff like that.

I didn't take part in any of that! But I have been riding my bike to work. And I love it! It's about seven miles each way. My ride skirts along the U.S. Olympic Training Center, cuts through the campus of Colorado College, hops onto the front range trail along Fountain Creek, goes through Goose Gossage park, and drops me off right at my office building. So I now kick off every day with a cup of coffee and a nice bike ride, and I can't think of many better ways to get things started.

Besides actually feeling good about getting up in the morning, my bike allows me to pursue other goals. I figure I'm saving a gallon of gas each time I ride, or about $3. So for every second time I ride instead of drive, I reward myself with a six pack of Fat Tire. This not only keeps my money in Colorado (remember, Fat Tire is a local brew here!), but it also keeps my money out of the middle east. Might not be on the front lines anymore, but I'm still comitted to fighting the war on terror!

1 comment:

Gaslight ;-) said...

You have a riding skirt? I've only found ones good for running.

So I guess the drivers in CO don't try to kill roadies like they do in Houston.