Thursday, March 17, 2016

Salida

Yet another incredible weekend down in Salida.

I will never do well at this race and that's fine with me.  The Run Through Time sort of kicks off spring for me, which means it's time to start getting in shape after being lazy all winter.  Plus, at my age, massive amounts of pizza and whiskey and beer the night before a marathon is going to negatively affect any dreams of speed.  But I was pleasantly surprised at how easy it was for me to cover the marathon, given how I haven't been running hills or distance.

Of course, you can see how hard I was pushing:


Given my Friday night and how difficult the new course was, I wondered if I'd even break six hours.  So when I crossed the line feeling good at 5:15, I was pretty happy.

The new course was awesome, and it's great to see what this race is now compared to what it was a decade ago when it started.  Not counting the initial two mile loop that allows folks to thin out, we're only on the dirt road for 3/4 of a mile.

A few pics from our ride up Tenderfoot Hill:






1 comment:

Steve Pero said...

JT, Salida is one of the things I really miss...we just don't have events like that back here in NH. Jon and Ricki do a great job with the race and it was always my annual first race of the year, what a great little town that I could certainly retire to.
I would have had a beer with you...if I could keep up! ;-)