Thursday, June 24, 2010

finally, a bear!

Incline yesterday, very slow. 1:45 starting and ending at Kinfolk's. Took this one very easy. Going to crush my body (and liver) this weekend down at Taos and then I'll switch to mostly power hiking to recover for Hardrock.

Kudos to Spread 'Em of the NOLA hash for nailing the Incline in 34 minutes! Not bad for someone who lives below sea level! It's a solid 34 as well, starting from the very bottom, as well as running up Ruxton before hand. Most folks start their watch well up the Incline so they can brag about low times. And most folks drive all the way up Ruxton, which contributes to the parking issues that keep muddling the legal opening of the Incline. I refuse to acknowledge any Incline effort that includes having a car on Ruxton. Of course, this has done nothing to stop the 70,000 people per year from climbing, but I'm trying.

But the big news - I finally ended my bearless streak! Lived in CO for almost five years and even though I've had countless trash cans foraged through by some furry invaders, I had never seen a bear before. But we saw a HUGE black bear just off Ruxton last night! Great stuff!

1 comment:

LK said...

Saw a BIG f'in bear today up in Granite Chief Wilderness (next to Squaw Valley) on a run this morning. First one on a trail run! Saw another one while tent camping 2 days ago near Desolation Wilderness that was very well fed. Almost got in the car before Olga, who already jumped in the car, was ready to drive off if it got any closer. Hopefully, no more bear sightings anytime soon...