Wednesday, March 24, 2010

book #4


Just finished up book #4 for the year. Averaging over 1.33 books per month so far this year, I think that's about what I usually average for an entire year. I'll be sure to thank all the small people when I win the national reader of the year award.

Pretty good read about the Boston marathon course. It's written (wrote? wroted? wrat?) by a native New Englander who bandited the 100th running of the race. Each chapter describes a mile of the course. Good intel to have with less than four weeks 'till race day.

Went on a rant at Trinity on Monday about the erosion of the standards for the race because of the fundraising way in. Think I even pissed some people off when I ripped the current Iraq marathon that allows any finisher to run Boston. Oh well. For those that don't know, I did do six years in the Infantry, including a year in Iraq, and at no time whatsoever did I think that entitled me to run Boston without a real qualifier. I think it's great that all these people are getting off their asses and getting into shape, but go run Chicago or Marine Corps or some other big time marathon, and leave Boston for the people who are willing to work their tails off to run fast!

Next up on the book list: Dick Beardsley's "Staying the Course: A Runner's Toughest Race." Yes, another Boston book. That'll put me halfway towards my goal of ten books for the year. Hope I'm not overworking my brain.

3 comments:

Mike said...

I'm with you on Boston. I don't even know how somebody could walk around with the shirt on if they got in via the charity route. Same deal with the celebrity exemptions, although I'll probably do it if they offer me one.

Jeff B. said...

Even though I'm a military guy, I'm with you and hope they will get back to the roots and keep Boston pure. It makes it cheap when they let coat hanger in; same with the Ironman. Who could feel good about themselves if they didn't qualify.

I have a West Point Ultra friend who tried to skirt the requirements for Badwater and use the emotions of running for the Wounded Warrior Project and was shut out with the race director saying he was arrogant to even ask for an exception. At least Badwater is a pure race.

brownie said...

Badwater just got cooler in my book. That Wounded Warrior thing is getting old, seems like I'm hit up for a donation every day now.