Sunday, March 05, 2006

Saturday...

Blew off my Saturday long run to go and help out the Pikes Peak Road Runners with their monthly clean up of a local trail. Figured it was about time I help put something back into the trails I usually tear up. Eight of us showed, and in two hours we had gathered a dozen full trash bags. No, the Springs ain't that dirty, but this section of the trail collects a lot of trash blown off of I-25.


My good deed for the year accomplished, it was off to the Cheyanne Canyon Zoo! Pretty cool place! Got to pet some giraffes, saw a Pitt Panther, some tigers, some big snakes. The zoo recently had a gorilla give birth, and the mother had rejected the baby. So a human zookeeper stays with the baby gorilla constantly, 24/7. Pretty weird.


















Another highlight was the hippo cage. We arrived just as a zookeeper was gonna brush their teeth. Hippos are like a lot of women I've slept with, enormously fat with bad oral hygiene!



After the zoo, it was off to Cheyanne Canyon for a quick hike up Helen Hunt falls. Great trail system at this park. This is where I do my Thurs hill workouts with CRUD, and there are still tons of trails I haven't explored. Helen Hunt wasn't too bad a hike, but it was some beautiful scenery. And no, these trails aren't named for that Helen Hunt.

So after a dinner at a local pizza joint, Rebekah and I decide to try to catch the mountain film festival over in Manitou Springs. Call MeatGazer, but of course she's too lame to do anything. We hurry over to Manitou only to find out the festival is sold out. Bummer. Oh well, off to Kinfolk's for some beers and singer/songwriter Tiffany Kimble. A little mellow for me, but a pretty talented chick.

After that, it was one last stop, at the Triple Nickel! $5.55 pitchers of PBR, yummy!

Anyways, a great, great, great way to spend a Saturday! Yunz can view the zoo/hike pics here.

1 comment:

dayoldfish said...

Brownie is the only person I know who goes to the zoo to have monkeys fling poo at him