Friday, March 20, 2015

Salida

Decent week, capped off with a good long run at Salida.  51 miles running, 81 miles on the bike, four hours in the gym.

The Salida marathon has definitely grown up as a race.  When it started it was barely more than a fat ass, a bunch of guys who would show up in mid-March out of shape and ready to get back to training now that the weather was getting better.  I think I took 8th place one year with a five hour effort, back when the course was faster than it is now.  "Times have definitely changed," I thought as I was sitting in a bar at 8PM on Friday and all the runners had gone to bed for the night.  There was a mountain biker at Benson's who informed BLOS and I about the Commodore Award - given to anyone who finishes a race the day after staying up past midnight and drinking at least four beers.  So at least I got to join that exclusive club over the weekend.

Salida was a blast as usual.  Great to see everyone, great to get a long run in (I ran 4:59, including a 16oz and 12oz can of PBR, about 15 minutes faster than I thought I'd run), great to enjoy some awesome spring weather, and just great to hang out in the best town in Colorado.  And I finally got to get the dog off the leash for some hiking.




  
There may have been some drinking involved with the weekend.





On Sunday $100 and I jogged up to the top of Tenderfoot Mountain (a.k.a., S Mountain).


Then we hiked the dog again, then rode bikes out to Elevation Brewing.  Our dream is to retire in Salida, but this weekend had us about to buy a house right this minute.

The week after the marathon has been hit-and-miss.  Lots going on in the social world to keep me from working out.  St. Pat's day, the resulting hangover, a play tonight (it's about K2, so it shouldn't be too bad), and a trip to Nederland tomorrow will keep the mileage down.  First world problems.

1 comment:

mtnrunner2 said...

4:59 sounds pretty good for an early mountain marathon.

Salida just pushes my buttons... small, mellow, good people, mountains, beer, pizza...