Sunday, December 21, 2014

Duke

Meet Duke.


Duke is an eight year old weim from Kansas.  He was scheduled to be put down yesterday.  But the good folks at the Mile High Weim Rescue weren't about to let that happen.  They reached out to their network of volunteers and a plan was hatched.  All that was missing was getting Duke from Kansas to Denver.

That's where I came in.  I wanted to get in my one good deed for the year, so after checking with the boss ($100) I got the go ahead to make the first road trip in my jeep.  Saturday morning I made the five hour drive to Hays, Kansas, and met Duke.


Duke and I had a great trip back to Denver, stopping twice for long walks around various rest stops.  Such a great dog and I was about two seconds from skipping Denver and bringing him back to Colorado Springs.  Whoever ends up adopting him is going to get one great dog.

I have no idea how rescue dog organization volunteers do such a fantastic job.  I'd have dozens of dogs.

6 comments:

Chris Boyack said...

Awesome. We got our dog from Grand Junction using a similar network of volunteers. Sounds like a great way to spend the day.

Andy said...

That is awesome man...

GZ said...

Good on you man. Well done.

Jeff Valliere said...

WTF, no beer involved? Great one, glad to hear Duke got a 2nd chance. I agree, as a volunteer, it would be really hard to not get carried away and have a house full of dogs. I'm sure Duke will make somebody a great pet.

MtUnpaved said...

Excellent way to spend the day.
I adopted a Dane from the NW Great Dane Rescue and he was one of the best dogs I have ever owned.

Jaime said...

Great stuff!