Thursday, June 25, 2009

weekend

Should be one helluva weekend and best of all it starts on Thursday!

Heading down to the Sangre de Cristo mountains today after work. Sleeping in the bed of my brand spankin' new Ford Ranger, after putting away some PBR's of course.

Friday morning I'm gettin' a super early start (4AM) to hit Blanca Peak (14,345 feet) and Ellingwood Peak (14,042 feet). Taking the Lake Como route, probably be at least a 15 mile hump. My buddy O'Day is already down there, and I'm gonna meet him at Lake Como for the climb. He recently managed to DNF the Sailin' Shoes 10K, and I'm sure most of the hike will consist of making fun of him for that.

Friday afternoon will be spent touring the finer points of the San Luis Valley. The UFO Watchtower, the Colorado Alligator Farm, Sand Dunes Hot Springs, and of course some of the finer dive bars in Alamosa.

We have about 80 hashers from the Front Range headed to the Dunes to camp out, and we have all the campsites reserved, so that should be a blast. Lots of bum wine in the forecast.

I'll go for a run on Saturday morning. Not sure where, either on some trails in the Sand Dunes National Park or a few hours out and back on Medano road, which passes through some awesome shit. I'm haring on Saturday afternoon, have a pretty sweet trail planned, and after that I should be good and drunk the rest of the day.

Have lots planned for Sunday, but we'll see how I feel. Would love to bag Star Dune, which has somehow avoided me despite three trips to the Dunes. But this year I'm definitely getting out to Zapata Lake, so we'll see how early I can get up.

How to recover from all this? Easy - drive home through Salida and hit Moonlight Pizza!

2 comments:

Impala Mama said...

Aren't you supposed to remove my link from your blog? I have passed my sell-by date.

LK said...

Sweet weekend. I hope to hell you stay off the Little Bear to Blanca Peak ridge. Lots of rotten rock between those two peaks and the col approach to little bear is dicey. Of course, you'd be leaving a 14'er behind to redo the approach if you didn't bag that one, too. That's some sweet terrain up there, though. Why the hell do I live in Texas? I've always considered myself a non-native Coloradan.