Tuesday, June 09, 2009

Mt. Evans

Had an awesome run up the Mt. Evans road on Sunday morning.  Started at the entrance station at 10, 750 feet and covered about 14.5 miles up to the parking lot at 14,130 feet.  The road wasn't as bad as I thought it would be, nowhere near as hard as running up Barr Trail.  The weather got real shitty above Summit Lake though,  with the wind chill dropping the temps well below zero.  Maybe I shoulda brought along some gloves?  Didn't want to pound my legs on the road all the way back down, so I hitched a ride from the Summit Lake parking lot.  Took me just under 2:45 to get up, Then 1:15 back to Summit Lake (which included quite a bit of time goofing off at the top).  Spent another hour or so at the coffee house just above 10,500 feet.  All-in-all I spent a good six hours above 10,000 feet on Sunday.

Kudos to Katie and BLOS, who made the eleven mile round trip from Summit Lake to the top and back.  Here's some of the pics Katie took:



7 comments:

GZ said...

Damn - 2:45 on a training run with it that cold? You sound ready to rock! Much easier than Barr. It gains something like 3000 or so feet over 14 plus miles. Barr gains (in PPA) 7800 over 13.3. And with only 1.25 of road.

Shad Mika said...

Did you go up the trail where the road ends to the true summit? If not it does not count....

brownie said...

I think I could go under 2:30 if I were racing it, I thought the road would be a lot steeper so I took it real easy until Summit Lake.

Shad, I didn't go all the way up as I was worried about frostbite on my hands and above the parking lot was covered in snow. I didn't count it as a 14er summit.

Unknown said...

Wow! Those are some great pictures. Nice job with the run!

Unknown said...

D'you really think that's gonna help with HR? Frickin' panzy! First you go up the cog rail on Pikes, now you take a paved path up a 14er. What's next, asking Dale Garland to take the roads around from Silverton, Ouray, and Telluride? You have been domesticated, trail runners are wild!

brownie said...

Please. You cherry pick some lame race in Utah and now you think you can run your mouth. Before that you sissied out and went to California. We roll a bit differently here in Colorado, which you're gonna find out the hard way in about a month...

Hone said...

I would die at that elevation