Monday, June 22, 2009

let the taper begin!

Great, great weekend of training. Saturday was a 3.5 hour hike up to Barr Camp with a 40 pound ruck, then a run out to Elk Park and back, including the Oil Tunnel. Even made my first trip to AdAmAn Rock.

Sunday was a hard hike up to Pikes Peak, a run back down the Cog to Barr Camp, and a hike back down to Manitou with the pack, though it was a lot lighter after drinking all the beer the night before.

Today I'll end my streak of 16 straight days of running (I could count the DIM hash tonight as a run, but I'm not lame like that) and begin my taper. The rest of this month I'll cut out my two-a-day runs and come July I'll only run every other day. I've been going hard since October and it's gonna be awesome to enter a four month period where I'm either recovering from a big race or tapering for another one.

I'll be getting some altitude this weekend on my first road trip with the new truck. Hitting a 14er or two on Saturday and then hanging out at Zapata Lake right around 12,000 feet before camping at the Sand Dunes. The following weekend will be spent at Alma or Leadville.

Really worked my ass off to get ready for the Hardrock/Leadville double, here's hoping I can get an extra 30 miles this year...

2 comments:

Carie said...

Your just lame.

Justin Ricks said...

Have fun this weekend, I just love Zapata Lake.