Wednesday, November 02, 2005

Mofro/Galactic/New Monsoon

Halloween night it was off to Stubb's for the big show. Was pretty psyched, I'm a huge fan of all three bands and had heard that Galactic Halloween shows were pretty rowdy. Arrived early to check out all the Halloween costumes (the nurses and French maids were my favorite - thanks to all the Austin chicks who wore those!) and then met Lewis and Ass Gagger down there. Even ran into old hash hippie Blowhole.

Mofro kicked things off. Have seen these guys the last two times at ACL. Afraid to buy a CD because I don't think their sound will carry over to the studio very well, but they put on a great live show. Sort of like a Cake meets the Black Crowes kind of sound. Played for about an hour before it was time for Galactic.

I'm a huge Galactic fan, so I was looking forward to this, my first time seeing them live. And they didn't disappoint. A lot of their fans say the band isn't the same since the lead singer left (they're now an instrumental band) but I thought they rocked. Tons of guests came up (Ivan Neville came up and sang a few tunes; the guys from Mofro came back on for an encore of the Stones' "Can't Always Get What You Want"), lots of great solos, all in all a great show.

After Galactic, it was time for the bonus show, New Monsoon playing inside. I had accidentally caught these guys at ACL a few years ago, and I've followed them ever since. The show was amazing. Jam after jam after jam. The highlight of my night was probably their cover of Pink Floyd's "Fearless." They also played a great Who cover, and as much stuff off their second album as they could. Can't say they stole the show from Galactic, but they sure tried.

Show ended about 1:15AM, and I was even sober enough to make it back home through the army of police hanging out downtown.

Couple 'o pics from the show are at:
http://share.shutterfly.com/action/welcome?sid=8AatWTVs3bs1FOY

Not sure who's up next on the concert calendar. Boog is coming back into town for Turkey day, we might try to catch the Scabs once again, didn't quite make it last time. Still looking to see Cool Chilli Dog if anyone out there sees them playing.

No comments: