Monday, November 28, 2005

CenTex H3

I always get a kick out of Austin hashers when they complain about the lack of hashing opportunities here. And it happens quite a lot. The battle cry always seems to be "in DC you can hash every night of the week...." Which is theoretically possible but probably a logistical impossibility. It's not like all of those hashes are actually in Washington DC, they include the surrounding areas like Baltimore and Annapolis and other nearby cities, which often take well over 60 minutes to get to due to capital city traffic.

Anyways, these same hashers are always crying about how they wish they could hash more often somehow fail to realize that within 90 miles of Austin you have five regular hashes (Austin, San Antonio, Kiss My Hash, Hill Country, Eat Me) and a bunch of smaller, less regular gatherings (Brenham, Heart of Texas, OTR, several bashes, any of the dozen or so "moon" themed Austin hashes). Not to mention that within roadtrip distance you have Dallas/Fort Worth, Houston, Space City, Galveston, Mosquito, and Corpus Christi.

In fact, I'd argue that we're one of the top five hashing meccas in the U.S. DC, Atlanta, NYC, Philadelphia, but that's about it. Probably one or two I'm forgetting because I've been drinking, but then again you could also lump the NYC/Philly/DC megapolis together, since they're so close. And of course, I don't count Caliafornia hashes, since CA hashers are a bunch of panzees.

So all this bitching and moaning from Austinites, I figured that once I announced the hash "triathlon" of doing Eat Me, San Antonio, and Austin in three days we'd have a huge convoy of vehicles making the trip. Nope. Only one brave hasher riding shotgun with me each day. Wussies. "Waahhh, it's too far. Waahhh, I'm too busy." Whatever. On top of the triathlon I managed to fit in the Scabs, the Wine & Cheese party, several hours of running at Walnut Creek, and coordinated the Turkey Trot pre and post race booze, not to mention the debacle that was Thanksgiving night. I'm not bragging, just pointing out that we have a lot of posers in the Austin hash.

Just some food for thought. Next time some Austinite wants to start the "Fat Chick Waning Moon H3" (it'll probably be sometime this week) they should instead put that effort into organizing a road trip somewhere. I'll be the first to sign up!

7 comments:

Late Nite Drive Thru said...

I'll lend you some support on this one, Brownie...DC has 12 hashes (I think?), but I only regularly attend 3.

Mostly it's because of time, though, not distance (who wants to get up for a run at 11am on Saturday and then go to another one at 3pm?).

brownie said...

Thank you. I did rank DC above Austin, if only because we've never had a hottie harriette wear a red latex dress to a hash. We've moved closer in the rankings since yunz guys took Bleeder though.

Gagger said...

I already told you I'm up for the next roadtrip to Aggieland for the eATMe hash! Whoop!!!

Barbara said...

I have been itching to go hash with C2H3...I have not been since Chemo left or was it the Iguana.

Also...never hashed in Dallas..

Barbara said...

Late night...do you know Lazy Mother Fucker? He is a transplant from SA,TX..moved to DC...Think he runs with the White House hash.

dayoldfish said...

Let's do the run down:
The Austin Hash (weekly)
Austin Full Moon H3 (monthly)
Shoal Creek Crawlers (irregular)
OTR (monthly)
Darkside (monthly, twice in December)
Bash (irregular)
Bubba's (irregular)
The mens only some weird name (has not been run in forever)

Hill Country H3
Hill Coutry travelling Hash
Hill Country Bash

SA H3
Kiss My Hash

Brenham H3
EATME H3

that is quite a list, not bad, noow if only I had Saturdays off so I could go somewhere else.

brownie said...

You forgot the original Central Texas full moon hash, the Heart of Texas (HOT) H3. I feel old when I say this, but I was around when the HOT was the only hash in the Killeen/Fort Hood area. Famous alumni include Ranger Smurf, Caveman, and Davey.