Wednesday, August 19, 2015

more Pikes thoughts

- This is the biggest weekend for the local running crew.  So great to see so many friends out on the Mountain.  The running scene here now gets real quiet until mid-November.

- I had been critical of some of the Triple Crown races recently, but I must say the race management really killed it for both of the showcase races.  Probably the smoothest the weekend has gone of any of the times I've run it.  And I loved the schwag, something I'll actually wear rather than donate it to goodwill within a week.  Kudos to Ron and crew for nailing it!

- On paper, I was on pace for a sub three Ascent on Saturday until the Bottomless Pitt sign.  But I was getting no power from the legs, I knew all day I wasn't going to run 2:59, and I really started to believe that a sub three was a goal I'd never obtain.  I told myself that in future years maybe a 3:30 would be the goal, making for a much less stressful summer and race weekend.  But over quite a few beers at Fossil on Saturday night, Amanda started talking some shit and a bet was made.  So it looks like I'll be getting after it once again in 2016.

- Pretty happy with my descent on Sunday.  I was very lackadaisical all the way down to treeline, which cost me a sub two.  But I slowly picked up the pace, and with about five miles to go I realized I still had a shot at sub 5:30.  Ran those last five miles way out of my comfort zone, taking a lot of risks on the technical trail.  Finished in 5:26, descending in 2:01.

- There was some super fast Kenyan (think he was a 2:12 marathoner) who was supposed to come and crush Matt's record.  And I saw him take off at the start and didn't think much else about it.  Then I caught him at No Name.  And he wasn't looking good at all, stumbling around like he had finished a bottle of whiskey.  I went by him, finished the race, and walked back down to the hasher beer check.  A few hours later, the dude comes walking by, still stumbling around, but on his way to finish the race.  He stopped for a beer, then went on.  Awesome of him to finish what he started.

- Ten years ago, at the 50th anniversary of this race, I was living in Austin and had taken vacation to try my luck at the Ascent.  I thought the area was awesome and wondered what it would take to live here.  Funny how life works out sometimes.

- At my finish of the Ascent, I heard them announce that it was my 10th finish of the Ascent/Marathon.  The only years I haven't done it since I moved here were when I was doing Leadville.

Some pics from the weekend:






3 comments:

Shad Mika said...

Cool! I get to beat your ass next year! Can't wait!

brownie said...

In your dreams.

Chris Boyack said...

Way to rock the double. Pretty cool that you live so close with a great view of the hill now.