Tuesday, August 18, 2015

cholesterol

Last week I went to have a medical checkup now that I'm an old fart.  I was mostly interested in my cholesterol, which I had never had checked before.

Total cholesterol - 217
Triglycerides - 62
HDL - 112
VLDL - 12
LDL - 93

I don't know what any of that means, but the doctor was super happy with those numbers.  He said that even though the total was over 200, the HDL level made it all good.  He knew about my lousy diet, and he said I could keep doing whatever it was that I was doing.

The appointment reminded me of the level of activity that I get, and that the folks I tend to associate with get.  I've been on here moaning about how disappointing my double was, about how I didn't do enough work, about how "out of shape" I am.  The doctor asked if I ran Pikes, and then asked how I did.  I replied, "well, not quite as fast as I wanted on either day, but it could have been worse."  His jaw about hit the ground and he had trouble believing that me, or anyone, would or could run up Pikes both days.

You hang around guys like Simon, or Gerald, or GZ, or JV, or Matt C, or Wyatt, or Wes, or Don Solberg, or any number of folks I refer to as old farts and you start to feel out of shape.  But every now and then you're reminded that the huge majority of guys who are over 40 have trouble getting from the couch to the fridge and back.

So yeah, I'm fairly healthy.  The doc gave me some inhalers and a big tube of testosterone creme and sent me on my way.

5 comments:

GZ said...

I got a few posts over the years as to what my numbers are ... (just if you want to compare) http://georgezack.blogspot.com/search/label/Health

Now that you are 40, you might get that fun prostate test. I get worried when both hands are on my shoulders for that.

Wyatt Hornsby said...

JT: I, too, have total cholesterol over 200 and, like you, it's because of my high HDL count, which is mostly a product of aging. Anyway, thanks for the call out. You beat my ass my 14 mins. on Sunday and I thought you looked really strong. You had a nice double and I hope you're proud!

Local Mind Media said...

Veggie burgers and carrot sticks for you.

MadMarmot said...

A little known fact,(confirmed by the internet),is that having a ratio of 50 percent or more alcohol to blood in your circulatory system has a decided advantage for reducing cholesteral,killing off free radicals,and reducing(numbing),pain and soreness,hence your good performances at these longer races.Just saying......

xthurman said...

That HDL # is v good. You are either doping or drinking: http://www.medicaldaily.com/7-health-benefits-drinking-alcohol-247552