Friday, January 23, 2015

life

Running, or any physical activity for that matter, has definitely taken a back seat to life lately.  A visit from the in-laws, some crappy winter weather, some travelers from the warmshowers site, the weekly brewery visits, and an injured dog have all conspired against me.  Maybe I was too quick to call out my out-of-shape co-workers for having to huff it up the mini-incline, at this rate they'll be beating me in no time.

Had a goal of keeping 50 mile weeks until the Salida marathon.  Only got in 40 last week so that's out the window.  Hope to squeeze in 50 somehow this week if I'm able to get more than three feet away from my ailing dog.

Not too worried about it though.  My two big goal runs this year will (hopefully) last less than three hours.  This week I signed up for the NYC marathon (yes, for the second time).  I'll head there with a goal of 2:59, a time I haven't run in a while.  I'll definitely need to change up the training from the past few years when I was concentrating on surviving Hardrock or finishing Leadman.  And I hope to do it on 50 miles per week, giving me more time to ride the bike.

And of course I'll be taking my annual shot at a sub three Pikes ascent.  On paper this shouldn't be too hard for me but I've never got my shit together on race day.  I have added motivation, GZ recently called Pitt a community college so I'll be looking to crush him on America's mountain as well.

Two or three months ago we noticed our dog starting to limp a bit.  We didn't think much of it because when we went on long hikes or runs the limp went away.  But it continued to get worse, especially when she would get up from sleeping, so we finally took her to the vet.  Fears confirmed, she tore a ligament in a back paw and would require surgery.  Surgery went well and she will be back to normal in ten weeks.  This first night/day has been rough though.  She's coming down off a lot of pain medicine and she has definitely had a bad trip.  Here's what I've been dealing with constantly since 5PM on Thursday:



Probably going to be rough throughout the weekend, and then the big challenge of keeping her off her legs begins.  Going to be rough for me to go the next few months without my favorite hiking partner.

9 comments:

The Padre said...

Unreal!!!! I clicked on the video AND BOTH of my dogs shot straight up out of a sound sleep!!! Ol Grandpa Smokey looked toward the kitchen & was totally confused. Shadow Boy came right up to me w/both ears standing tall. I stopped the video 10 seconds in & Shadow licked my hand as if to say," Stop the pain!!" Mr Pitt, I totally feel for ya & the household. Also, keep flirting w/the 50 mile a week, stay present w/the company/in laws, & enjoy the winter because its only getting hotter. NOAA claims 54F in GJ Sun/Mon?!?!?! No need for us to go to Moab in Feb. Cheers

brownie said...

I don't think the dog was in pain, just some weird side effect of the drugs wearing off. She is now sleeping soundly and the new challenge will be to keep her off her feet as much as possible.

We get 50s here next week as well! Can't wait!

GZ said...

PPM? Or are we comparing your time from the junior varsity race?

brownie said...

There is only one race during Pikes weekend. The Double.

GZ said...

I will be happy to compare your best ascent of the weekend against my total finish time of PPM and Leadville. Sounds about fair.

Bob Johnson said...

I think that video made my wife cry.

brownie said...

The drugs have worn off, and the dog is sleeping peacefully, and quietly, on the bed.

GZ, head to head at the Marathon. Loser buys the first round at Manitou Brewing and sings the opposite collegiate fight song!

GZ said...

In. I could probably ascend in four hours and still beat you down if I walked.

GZ said...

For what it is worth, our dog tore a tendon chasing a squirrel. She was down in a cast for 8 weeks after the surgery. She is coming around fine ... there is a wrap you can get for the cast that apparently some funk stink or taste to dogs so they don't chew it (as much).