Sunday, September 21, 2008

Mike the Headless Chicken and GRRRReta the t-rex

A long time ago I was reading an article in Dirtrag where the writer had travelled across the country on I-70, hitting the best mountain bike spots along the way. For some reason the guy mentioned Mike Headless Chicken and his statue in Fruita and it stuck with me. So finally getting out that way, I decided to check it out. Turns out, the statue is based on a true story, which you can read here.

After dining at the Hot Tomato Cafe (good call, Yeti! FYI, I think that microbrewery is closed, I couldn't find it...) I walked around the town and also came upon this statue:

That's GRRReta, as I found out from the plaque outside the cage. GRRReta looks nice and friendly, but one local told me she's really vicious and the townspeople fear her breaking loose, as evidenced by the security fence and leg chain.

7 comments:

Jessi said...

HAAAA! I love GRRReta!!! I hope she does get loose!!

Impala Mama said...

Mike, Mike, where's your head? Even without it, you're not dead!
heeheehee.

Gagger said...

Poor GRRReta, all chained up. So mean, so mean.

brownie said...

Jes, when you move to Manitou, you might be able to stop by Fruita on your way in to free GRRReta.

Jessi said...

I'll strap her to the top of Einstein and bring her with me! She can live in the yard!

brownie said...

Bring the leg chain. The Manitoids will get pissed if she eats certain plants around the area.

Jessi said...

Ummm...I'm no expert, but GRRReta looks like a meat eater to me. Hopefully she'll eat the annoying Manitoids!