Monday, September 08, 2008

fucking steep!

Though it didn't really help that I had run once since Leadville, and probably only four or five times since Hardrock, Imogene was one tough hump.

Went out with a great group of friends and we all had a blast through the entire weekend. Carbo loading at Arctic on Thursday, lunch at Moonlight Pizza in Salida on Friday, then setting up camp along the race course late Friday night. Stayed up well past midnight on Friday night drinking around a fire, nothing but a fast flowing mountain stream, one of the most beautiful skies I've ever seen, and cold PBR. Good times!

Friday it was up early to head down to Ouray. Picked up our packets and chilled out in a local coffee house which was full of runners. Shortly before the race started I took my place in the middle of the pack. I had been burnt out from running ever since Leadville, and had long ago given up any hope or wish of running a good time here. Just wanted to head out and enjoy a day in the mountains.

There is no easy part of this course. As soon as you cross the start line, you start climbing. Shortly after leaving the paved road in Ouray the course runs along the Hardrock course, reminding me of days long ago when I was still a good runner.

Up, up, up, past our campsite. Ran with Pete for a while during this section, we would see -aw back and forth all the way up the mountain. I remember hitting three miles in thirty minutes, pretty speedy for how steep it was.

Felt real good, though I could definitely feel the loss of fitness. But most importantly I was having a great time out there. The weather could not have been more perfect. I don't think I saw a cloud the entire weekend. Temps were nice enough to wear just a tank top but still keep the PBR I was carrying a bit chilly. The group I was running with seemed to be in the same boat I was in - just out there to have fun, seeking a good effort but not really caring about turning in a grade A performance.

I was still working hard though. About 3.5 miles in I started having to hike, but I was moving with a purpose. As the climb got steeper and the air got thinner, I began to pass quite a few people. It was great to hit the Upper Camp Bird aid station and see a bunch of hashers manning the aid station.

Pretty much hiked the entire portion from Upper Camp Bird to the top of Imogene Pass. The Infantry gods would have approved, as I was blowing by a ton of people. Even passed Pete here, who looked about two inches from death. Gave him some encouraging words and moved on. I knew he'd get me on the downhill but I still wanted to beat him to the top. Think my final mile going up was about 24 minutes - and like I said that was fast enough to pass a lot of racers.

About halfway up the mountain, even though I wasn't worried about the time, my competitive instincts were reignited. I knew that if I reached the top in the 2:10 to 2:15 range, I'd have a shot at a sub three hour finish. And I went for it, but all the motivation in the world won't make up for a general lack of fitness. I hit the Imogene Pass aid station in 2:20. No way I was gonna make the 7 mile technical downhill in 40 minutes, so I popped open the can of Pabst I had carried along for the summit. Pete followed about two minutes later, had a swig, and then took off down the hill in search of more oxygen. I spent about ten minutes up there drinking my beer and taking in the gorgeous view. One of my favorite things in life - nothing but mountains as far as I can see.

All hope of a sub-3 gone, I began walking down the hill. I had had fun and pushed hard up the hill, and I wanted to escape the weekend injury free. I stopped to pose for the photographer, allowed bunches of runners to pass me, and continued meandering down the mountain.

I was startled shortly as BLOS passed me. And he blew by me. I bet he thought I was hurting and wanted to break me. Little did he know I had been walking most of the previous mile and felt like I had just started the race. No friggin' way I was gonna let a Pikes Peak hasher beat me, so I threw in an incredible surge for about half a mile. BLOS has come a long way with his running lately, but his idea of a rugged trail is the Sante Fe trail, so it didn't take long to drop him. I slowed up again shortly, but kept checking my six to make sure he wasn't waiting to ambush me at the end. Kudos to him for a good race though.

Shortly after BLOS and I duked it out the mountain town of Telluride came into view, and before I knew it I was crossing the finish line. 3:25:15. Had I not wasted so much time on top of the pass and hammered the downhill as hard as I could, I may have been able to go 3:09. But I had a blast and wouldn't run the race any differently. Imogene really reminded me of why I love the mountain running gig.

BLOS, Pete, and I grabbed a few beers and chilled about 100 meters before the finish line, cheering on runners as they came in. Soon LUMP joined us, then Chum. Eventually, slowly but steadily, $100, Ritz, and Nacheaux turned the final corner, grabbed a beer, and hit the finish line.

All-in-all, a perfect weekend. If you live in Colorado and enjoy the outdoors, this is a must-do race. A great challenge, a beautiful course, awesome support, not a whole lot more to ask for.

6 comments:

Shorey said...

Holy shit that's steep - I feel out of breath just looking at the elevation map. Sheesh! Sounds like a good time was had by all.

Impala Mama said...

You've still got the fire burning in you!! I'm so glad you enjoyed the hell out of this race :-)

Lulu said...

WTF Asshole??

"But most importantly I was having a great time out there. "

Did your granny panties cause any chafing out there? Drink for being soft!

brownie said...

I can't believe that the winner, wait, the REPEAT winner, of the rough and tough women's adventure race called me soft! Go run up the hill of life once and talk about how you're a winner just for finishing!

Lulu said...

Dude. You totally got called out and totally deserved it. Just admit it and move along.

brownie said...

For some of us, pushing the lactate threshold is a great time!