Monday, July 27, 2020

Salida/BV/Leadville

Had you asked me I would have predicted a really good Classic 10k followed by a shitty Salida 5.5 miler.  Just guessing based off the work I've been doing lately.  And after choking at the Classic I just assumed I'd have two bad races.


But the thing in Salida went pretty alright!  Started off strong, climbed well, and held my own on the descent.  And I ended up outkicking this eleven year old girl at the finish.


I finished 27th overall in 41:05 for the 5.4ish mile course on the S mountain trails.  Really happy with the effort.  My last race in the 40-44 age group.

After my race I played some guitar in the van while the wife went for a run, then we headed north.  Dropped by Buena Vista to visit some old Austin friends - Paul and Meredith - before heading up to Leadville to see another old Austin friend - Mr. Sharp.  Need to note here that on Saturday for breakfast I had Moonlight Pizza, lunch was the Buena Viking, and dinner was High Mountain Pies.  Quite the day of food.  We also hit up Leadville's newest brewery, Two Mile Brewing.  The Camp Hale Pale wasn't half bad.

Rained damn near the entire weekend, so nights were spent just chilling inside the van.  Sharp and I did meet up to run the Leadville Mineral Belt loop, a 13.1 mile loop if you start from the start line of the Pb100.  Surprised they don't have a half marathon race there.

We ran into Bigfoot over near the Colorado Mountain College


It's been a while since I've been to Leadville so this might be old news, but there are two memorials to Super Dooper at City on a Hill coffee.



Took the long way back home, dropping by Outer Range and Broken Compass.

1 comment:

dr. Slow Ride said...

I hate races but still do them. Whenever I kill the hopes of someone in their early adulthood at the finish I crack open a bottle or tin I've toted the entire distance within sight of their conspicuous stretching. To hell with children in these races bc they don't appreciate that sort of bitch slap.