Sunday, October 20, 2019

VetFest 10k

39:26.  Not a great race, but I'm happy with the time as the goal was sub 40.  Solid on the out of the out and back, reaching the halfway point in 19:20, but the back was uphill and into the wind and I struggled.  But most of the online calculator predictors say that a 40 minute 10k, on paper, with an internet connection and cup of coffee, equates to a sub 3:10 marathon.

Relive 'VetFest 10k'


There was one other semi-fast runner there, and he was winning for the first four miles of the race after a super fast first mile, but he struggled more than I did over the second half so I ended up taking the win.  Race was to benefit the Douglas County Veterans Memorial Foundation and I got a coin for winning.




After the race we dropped by 105W Brewing to celebrate.  Castle Rock has quite a few good breweries nowadays, Burly and Wild Blue Yonder, plus Maddie's Beergarten, but 105W is still our go-to.


After we got home I headed out again for my first hash in months.  Good to get back out there on trail, even if I spend most of my time lost and wondering around the westside.

2 comments:

dr. Slow Ride said...

Nice race, it sounds. My sub 40 10K days are done but that has less to do with stopping at every pub on the route for a pint than just the decrepit age effects. It's coming for you, too, son.
Drunken Bunny (dr Slow Ride)

Kieran McCarthy said...

39:26 is solid for a windy day on a hilly course. And any wins post-40 count for two.