Tuesday, October 29, 2019

self rescue

Fri - bike commute 65.  Four miles to work, 14 back home.

On Saturday and Sunday I spent all day in Cheyenne Canon for the Colorado Mountain Club self rescue class.  Learned how to get out of some sticky situations while climbing outside.  Perhaps you are belaying and your climber breaks an ankle.  Or maybe you're climbing and a bear eats your belayer.  Stuff like that.  Saturday was great but Sunday was pretty rough as the shitty weather had rolled in and it was super cold and wet in the Canon.

Was pretty stoked to get the class under my belt, and I signed up for two more CMC classes - the basic avalanche class and an intro to ice climbing.  The long term goal is to complete the HAMS class (high altitude mountaineering school) which includes a summit of Rainier.

Mon - we got a good seven inches of snow on the westside and it was cold as balls.  My office closed down so I had the day off, and I got in a nine miler in the Garden.  Didn't get above 23F all day.

Tues - run commute 67.  19F with a lot of snow and ice on the ground.  Just trying not to lose too much fitness on stretches like this, I get zero quality in when conditions are this shitty.  Supposed to get even worse for my run back home.  Yay.

In totally unrelated news: when Army whoops Air Force this Saturday my cadet has to buy me a slice of pizza from Slice 420 and sing the Army song while I eat it.

No comments: