Wednesday, September 28, 2016

new goal for MDI

I'm not expecting much when I run the Mt. Desert Island marathon in mid October.  I had to take three weeks completely off after Pikes, and I've been very slow to get back at it.  The plan was to finish feeling fresh enough to do some serious hiking and biking in Acadia Nat'l Park after the race.

But Strava has thrown this out there.  Ballsy move by New Balance since two of the biggest marathons - Chicago and New York - fall within the time limit.  But they do have the stats to show that most people fail to negative split.  But anyhow, I think I'm now going to hang for the first half of the race with the four hour pace group, then drop a blazing 1:59 second half so I can get a free pair of NB Fresh Foam 1080 (the most expensive running shoe on their site at 150 bones).

2 comments:

mike_hinterberg said...

"Just" negative splitting is silly, of course -- kind of a weird promotion. Easy to do if that's your only focus, but not always appropriate for every course and weather profile. Still: free shoes!
Hmm, I wonder if any sanctioned marathons have open registration still that are cheaper than a pair of shoes.

Steve Pero said...

If I wasn't a couple of hours away, I'd offer you a place to stay! Good time of year to come visit New England...best of luck in the marathon.