Saturday, October 06, 2012

wedding trip, part II

Soon enough it was time to head down to Havasupai Falls.  It's a ten mile hike from the car to the campsite.  Nothing too overwhelming, but not since my Infantry days had I carried over 50 pounds on my back.  Luckily, a lot of the weight was booze, so the packs were lighter coming back out.


Typical Grand Canyon beautiful scenery on the hike down:



A few hours later we passed Navajo Falls, and soon after that we got our first glimpse of Havasu Falls.


Camped and hung out for that day.  Next day it was off to check out Mooney Falls, which has a pretty sketchy descent required to get to the bottom.


Mooney Falls:


If you look closely, I'm drinking a beer at the picnic table:


$100 and I hiked a few miles downstream.  Really cool stuff.  I'd like to return someday and go all the way to the Colorado river.


Didn't take too may pics on my phone, I'll dig some others up later.  This was a fantastic part of the trip, something we've wanted to do for a long time.  No pictures can do the place justice, so beautiful and the water is so blue you won't believe it even when you see it.  Hard hike in and out, but there are helicopter rides for the lazy ($90 each way).  Water is available at the campsite, which really helps cut down on weight.

No comments: