Monday, May 07, 2012

Jersey

Real happy with the race.  Stopped to take a leak at 2.5 miles, and the break allowed the 3:00 pace group to catch up (my wave started 60 seconds ahead).  Kept up with them until the halfway point, then slowly started pulling away, trying to get that minute back.  About mile 19 I tanked, a combination of the lack of speedwork in my training, the headwind along the beach, and a diet consisting of nothing but Tastykakes, Middleswarth chips, and Yuengling all taking a toll. 

At mile 19 the new goal became a BQ (3:15 for old folks like me), so I slowed to eight minute miles.  Around mile 22 I remembered the early entry for every five minute thing, so I picked it up to go sub 3:10.  Around mile 25 I knew if I hammered I could get a sub 3:05.  None of which matters, since Boston won't let me back after my last performance there.

Very happy with the run.  Won't take much to get back into sub three shape for NYC. 

Next up is Quad Rock.  Lots of pressure there, as I have to be considered the favorite since I'm pretty sure I have the fastest marathon time* in the field.





*only counting marathons within the past seven days

3 comments:

Neil Blake said...

Are you in for the Quad/Jemez double? There are a few of us from the Duke City making the trek to Fort Collins and then over to Los Alamos the next weekend. Can't match the 3:03 marathon but did squeak out a 1:26 half on Sunday.

Good work.

brownie said...

Yes, I'll be at both races. And neither will be pretty.

1:26 is solid at ABQ. Much more impressive than a 3:03 along the ocean.

LK said...

I noticed Scott is running just the fun run at FoCo. Must have gotten scared when he saw that you signed up for the 50m and dropped down to the shorter race. And, glad to see Nick has the decency to offer some decent beer post race so I don't have to raid your cooler for nasty PBR. See you in a few...