Monday, May 21, 2012

Jemez

11:43:37.  Spent the whole day with my buddy Josh, who was running his first ultra.  Had a blast.  Hardrock training is coming along and I'm right where I want to be.  Still have some stuff to work on but I'll be feeling pretty good come mid-July.

I really liked the new course.  I'd say it's about 75 minutes faster than the old course for a MOP guy like me, but I enjoyed the new loop around the Caldera.  The new second climb, from the floor of the Caldera the top of the ski hill, was a sick joke and you could definitely tell who has the Incline in their backyard and who doesn't.  In fact, the hill was so steep that once I got back to the bottom I had to take a break:



Great to add a new debate to the ultra world: who is the biggest panzee Jemez champ, Rick H or PG?

Awesome time the entire weekend.  Stumbled into the Colfax Tavern near Cimmarron, NM.  I highly recommend taking HWY 64 to Taos next time you're headed that way.  Good article on the joint over here.


Of course, we hit the usual Taos establishments, and some new ones, as well.  Eske's (twice).  Taos Ale House.  Old Blinking Light (I hear there is an OBL in Highlands Ranch as well?).  The Snowmansion.  Williams Lake.  Sabroso.  Good times!

1 comment:

trudginalong said...

I own the Giant Killer!

I was talking with Blake Wood afterwards and he agreed that the 2nd climb up Pajarito was sickening.