Monday, September 19, 2022

Pikes

Good weekend over at Pikes.  Ran a little faster than I thought I would on Saturday, hitting the top in 3:35:46.  Got to treeline at 2:31:30 and thought a sub 3:30 might have been possible.  I went hard, but you can only do so much that high up.  Still really happy with the day.  169th overall out of 1481 finishers.

I was pretty sore on Sunday but still had an OK marathon.  I was five minutes slower to Barr Camp, ten minutes slower to A-Frame, and the splits grew worse from there.  Hit the summit in 3:54:36.  Had trouble getting the sore legs to turnover on the downhill, and my split from the top back to A-Frame was atrocious.  I did get things going a bit as the air got thicker, completing the downhill in 2:25:08, about ten minutes slower than I would have liked.  My up placed me 142nd on the day, while my down was 147th, so at least I was consistent.  6:19:44.  Ended up 145th overall out of 684 finishers.  While not my best day I was able to do just enough to keep my double time under my goal of ten hours, totaling 9:55:30 on the weekend.

The mountain gets harder every year for me, but I can't imagine not running.  This was my ninth double.  Overall I have twelve ascent finishes and eleven marathon finishes.  This was also my first "Garden to Peak Challenge" finish.  And my 16th straight month with a 14er summit.

Physically I'm a hot mess.  Every year this weekend beats up my body a little more.  This will be a good week for less miles though, Pearl Jam and the Manitou Beer Fest are on tap.

I'll definitely be back here in '23.  Should be interesting as my training will consist of riding my bike from Mexico to Canada.

1 comment:

The Padre said...

Holy Crap, Good On You - And Rockin Those 14ers This Year - Pitt Sure Did Handle Biz vs RI - Way Cool - Hows The Finger Picking These Days

Cheers