Monday, October 26, 2020

Cheyenne Mountain 50k

 

Sun - Fall Series II at Monument Valley Park.  4.1 miles in 27:33, not too shabby after the annual Brewery Marathon the evening before.  

Mon - 8 x 200m up at the Holmes track in the AM, easy 13.8 mile ride in the evening.

Tues - bike commute 73.  10k there through Sondermann, eleven back home.  CityRock 56 at lunch.

Wed - 7.4 mile Garden trail run at dawn, 10 mile bike loop in Red Rock Canyon at dusk.

Thurs - bike commute 74.  6.7 miles there, 4.1 back.  CityRock 57 for lunch.

Fri - run commute 62.  4.3 miles in 39 minutes down the Midland Trail.  The beginning of a weird stretch of weather that will take us between 8F and 70F over the next few days.  The temp dropped significantly by 5PM and I just took the bus home.

Sat - Cheyenne Mountain 50k.  Went pretty well all things considered.  For Salida I correctly predicted I'd get to mile 17ish before shit start to hurt, and for this one I figured I'd make it about 22 miles.  And that was spot on.  At least in Salida I had Rick to push me, but I was in no man's land at CM and my pace really suffered over the final few miles.  Thankfully, due to the COVID, the course was changed and ended up being significantly short, my garmin clocked it at 26.8 miles.  5:22:46 for me, well short of the five hours I was hoping for.  Freezing cold at the start but it was pretty hot during the second half of the run.  Celebrated after the run over at Fossil, who turned six years old today.

Sun - body was a hot mess from the run, but I still got the dog out for a nice 5k hike before the truly shitty weather came to visit.  Spent the rest of the day vegging out, eating junk food, and watching football, including my undefeated Steelers.  Notice I'm not really talking about Pitt Panther football much these days.  The temp continued to drop all day and by the time I left the house at 6PM to meet Marc and Amanda at Fossil it was 13F and snowing.

Mon - got up at 4:20AM to shovel sidewalks and it was 7F.  I do four houses now, ours and three of our older neighbors, which isn't hard as snow in the Springs is light and fluffy, but it does take me a good hour to knock it all out.  At six the temp had gone up a whole degree, and when I tried to take the dog out she almost immediately developed her fake limp that she pulls whenever it's too cold to walk.  That will probably be it as the high today is 14F.  Back to the mid 60s by the weekend though.

No comments: