Monday, February 05, 2018

Super Half

Was really wanting to go sub 90 at the race.  Somewhat behaved myself on Saturday to avoid a hangover, and was feeling good at the start line as it was sunny and over 40F.  And then things went to shit very quickly.  Not with me, but with the weather.  Got super cold.  After the race when I got back to the car, it was 19F.  I'm way too weak and old to push in those conditions. 

Good first half - I was right on 90 minute pace for 5.5ish miles.  But the dropping temps had my legs feeling tight and my motivation disappeared very quickly.  Wasn't a total disaster, I would stay around 7:15 pace from 5.5 through nine miles, then I went 7:39, 7:21, 7:45 (which included stopping for a beer), and 7:36.  Lots of folks went by me in those miles.  The bitter cold caused me to slow down, and for a lot of others it caused them to speed up as they wanted to be done.  I didn't crush the last mile, but with Amanda somewhere behind me I went 7:09 to get the cheap win.  Official finish time was 1:34:41.

So a good tempo for 5.5 miles, a much slower tempo for the rest of the day.  Wish this race was on Saturday, when I rode around bike trails and side streets for 40 miles in shorts.


One last shot to go sub 90 at Platte River.  After that I'll need to start being happy with sub 95.

No comments: