Saturday, May 09, 2015

HAIL HAIL

Finally had a weather window this morning.  I took the first part of it to take the dog for a nice hike, it's been a while since she's left the block.  After that I took off for what I thought would be a road 20 miler.  Nice tour of some of the local creeks, they're very high but not terribly close to overflowing the banks.  Through the Garden, through Manitou, out to Rainbow Falls.  So nice to see the sun.  On the way home as I turned back into the Garden for some bonus miles some freak rain/hail storm came out of nowhere and caught me completely off guard.  Within an instant, I was soaked, and pea sized hail was nailing me.  Each piece felt like a bee sting.  I had to run a good quarter mile to find a good enough tree to provide cover, so I was pretty beat up by that time.  Took cover for about eight minutes until the hail slowed, then bailed on the run and headed straight home.  14 miles on the day.



Here's a pic I stole, this was the hail storm I was caught in.  I love my cotton t-shirts, but they don't do shit to protect against this.


The wife just asked me when it's supposed to stop raining.  I said tomorrow.  "Really?"  Yes, but it's actually supposed to snow.

2 comments:

Andy said...

" I was soaked, and pea sized hail was nailing me. Each piece felt like a bee sting."

Yeah... I had the same thing happen to me yesterday riding down from Independence Pass but it hurt a hell of a lot more at 20+ mph than just bee sting... I was just happy to get home.

GZ said...

You guys seem to got the worst of the weather in CoS.

Next up, drought and fire.