Sunday, September 07, 2014

Monarch Crest

Finally got my ass up to ride the Monarch Crest trail, something I've wanted to do for almost a decade now.  And even with how much I've built up the ride in my mind, it was so much better than I thought it would be.  Anyone, whether or not you ride a mountain bike, who isn't afraid of a hard four hour workout should do this.  I'm still a novice at the technical stuff, so I had to pay attention, but it wasn't super difficult.

The route I took was 33 miles and took me four hours.  I could probably take an hour off that since I had to stop and check the map quite a bit and also kept the watch running while I sat down on the continental divide to enjoy a brew.

The Vapor Trail 125 was going on, and I saw some of those guys as the final 40 miles of the race include the Monarch Crest trail.  Fucking animals.

As an added bonus, the trail ends at Elevation Beer Company!  They make beer there!  Hooray beer!




$100 and the dog used those four hours to explore the area.  She took a nice pic of my pooch.  Completely coincidental that the dog hasn't bit anyone since Colorado legalized weed.


5 comments:

mike_hinterberg said...

Glad you got it done. You forgot to mention it was a gravity-assisted coast (ok, with a few bumps).

Did your dog pee on both legs of the sign, one on each side of the divide?

brownie said...

The down is harder than the up due to how technical it is.

Andy said...

Did you go down Silver Creek or Marshall Pass road?

brownie said...

Silver Creek. So many more trails to explore out there.

mtnrunner2 said...

Salida sucks, everybody should go somewhere else. Nothing to see there.

Well done, I need to check that out some time. With new brake pads.

The dog photo +1