Tuesday, February 05, 2013

January


Fairly decent month.  251.23 miles running on 40 runs (49:42:54), with 42341 feet of climbing.  30.5 miles hiking on 13 hikes (10:02:15), 7638 feet of vert.

I’ve never tracked climbing before, but my watch does it automatically.  Combined running/hiking gave me 49979 feet.  Guess I should have walked up and down the front steps a few times to get to fifty thou.

Separating the running and hiking, hoping this helps me concentrate on improving the hiking part of my Hardrock attempt.  Back in my Infantry days the standard was a 12 mile hike with a 50 pound pack in three hours.  Hard to keep that pace nowadays even without the weight as the terrain I hike on is quite different than the paved roads back in Texas we would march on.  Really have no method of separating a run from a hike – some Incline days have me logging the workout as a hike (usually when I come straight back down the Incline) and other days have me putting it in as a run (when I run down Barr Trail).  And some running days are more hiking than running.  The dog is a big winner for the logged hikes, as she loves the slower pace.  Gets to chase more squirrels and sniff more stuff.

Eleven non-truck commutes to work (Ryan is at ZERO!) and eleven trips up the Incline.  Well on the way to 100 in both those categories.

Haven’t done the long runs to prepare me for Mt. Mitchell, but that won’t stop me.  Actually felt quite good for my two six hour efforts, at the FoCo and PP fat asses.  Judging from the conditions of the course, it’s not going to be much of a run anyways.




7 comments:

nmp said...

If you want to improve your uphill hiking at HR just get a pair of poles ;-)

brownie said...

I'll never sell out like you did with facebook.

Steve Pero said...

I'm more impressed with your 7mpm half marathon (with hangover)! I once ran 1:16 and now 30 years later would be lucky to run 1:45...
I'm surrendering to the poles this year, Karl says it's like cheating, so i'm going to give it a try.
Have fun at MM, nice country!

Rob said...

251.94mi/64880ft. I've decided to train for Hardrock this year. I have a beer to win. Poles are for the weak. I threw mine away. Sorry to miss PP this year.

brownie said...

After Nick's vertical beer mile debacle, nobody believes FoCo runners when they spew out numbers anymore.

We betting a growler from Silverton Brewing this year?

Feets of Pedestrianism said...

I've been upgraded to physical activities not using my feet. I don't know how that translates to commuting yet, but soon enough you will find yourself behind in the bet.

Rob said...

A growler from Silverton Brewing it is!