Sunday, February 17, 2013

Barr Camp

Nice run from the house up to Barr Camp and back today.  21 mile round trip, just under 2.5 hours up, 4:15 total time.  Looks like Neil and Teresa are preparing to give up their job as caretakers over the next year or so.

Barr Trail was a mess.  Lots of ice from the TH up to No Name Creek.  Lots of snow from No Name to Barr Camp (though the higher part of the trail was much easier to run on).  The messy conditions on the lower part of the trail made for slow going coming back down, as each of the millions of Incliners had to inch their way down to keep from falling.

As much as I hate to give credit to Mike H, I believe he is right.  We all know Coors uses Wilson Peak on the logo, but I think Telluride Brewing does as well.  I owe Mike a Coors Light next time I see him for proving me wrong.


And we'll keep rolling with the "beer makes you smarter" theme.  Did you know the largest salamander in North America is the Hellbender?  Gotta admit, seeing one of these on a run would freak me out a bit.


How do I know this?  Because during my intensive research for the upcoming Mt. Mitchell Challenge (looking for local bars/breweries to visit) I came across an invite for the Hellbender Release Party from Pisgah Brewing in Black Mountain, NC.  You know you've made it in the salamander world when you get your own beer named after you.

4 comments:

Rick said...

Couldn't help but notice the signs all over Asheville saying that you're performing here this weekend. Wicked Weed is promoting free beer for a year to anyone who gets JT into their place for a few performance enhancing bevvies before the race. Let me know where and when we can pick you up!

brownie said...

Looking forward to visiting Asheville! Any places I should definitely check out?

Rick said...

Wedge and Wicked Weed breweries are good ones. Let's grab a beer if you're up for it rem_erriman@yahoo.com

mike_hinterberg said...

I won't be in Salida (traveling for school), but I'll take a brew from T-ride during Hardrock.