Monday, July 06, 2009

Leadville 5K

Another good time out at the Leadville 5K. Of course Katie and I started the day at the Golden Burro with a bloody mary. Saw Tony right before the race and got to talk with him, he seems to be working himself into pretty decent shape. When the race began there were four runners who bolted away from everyone. I held on to the back of that lead pack for about half a mile. After that, I didn't want to tip my hand to Tony that I'm coming for him at Leadville, so I backed off. I think I ran my first mile in about 5:50 or so, which isn't too big a deal for me at 6,400 feet in Manitou but above 10,000 feet it's a whole 'nother thing. Ended up running the next two miles very easy and finished in 19:18 for 5th place, including 1st in the 30-39 age group (for which I got a very cool wrestling medal). I gave much less of an effort than last year when I ran 19:58, so hopefully that bodes well for this weekend.

Tony ended up winning in 16:54, despite running two hours before the race. The next three guys were all under 17. No other finishers until me, and then it was another 30+ seconds until someone else came in. BLOS finished 10th in 21:01. Think they had about 120 runners.

Katie was the true star of the day. She had been trying to break thirty minutes in the 5K for quite some time, but never got close in Colorado Springs. But put some booze in her and take her to Leadville and she was gold. Despite hiking Massive the day before, she finished in 28:44. Probably the only person to ever get their 5K PR in America's highest city.

Afterwards we got to watch the Leadville 4th of July parade, always a treat. Great way to kick off the holiday weekend.

2 comments:

Carie said...

Katie rocks!

Gagger said...

Katie kicks butt!