Wednesday, August 01, 2007

my virgin outdoor climb

Went over to the Garden of the Gods yesterday for my first outdoor bouldering experience. Found out quite a bit about the sport, such as the outdoor stuff is a lot different than the gym stuff. Gonna have to learn to use my feet a lot more on the outside stuff. Plus, the holds are a lot different when they're dirty, likely to break off, and are crawling with bugs. Anyways, after an hour or so of goofing around, I did climb my first rock:

Yeah, it looks easy, but it's kinda nervewracking when you're up there without a spotter or a pad. Only about eight or nine feet tall, but a fall woulda fucked me up pretty good. I was treated to a pretty cool view of the Garden from the top:

Then it was off to a different section of the Garden looking for a rock to traverse so I could get some good training in. Found a great rock right near the main entrance. Get a great workout without ever being over two feet off the ground. The pucker factor is still pretty high though, you get into some weird angles and a fall is gonna have your back hitting some jagged rocks pretty hard.

Stayed on the traverse rock for another 45 minutes 'till it got too dark. Great workout! Then it was off to Kinfolk's to celebrate.

2 comments:

Outdoorgirl said...

I am still amazed that your camera still works!!!!


BTW Happy 18 year running day!

Gagger said...

Did he drop it while climbing?

Oh yeah..congrats on your first outdoor climb!