Wednesday, August 01, 2007

18

Tonight's CRC happy hour will mark my 18th anniversary of running. Started on August 1, 1989, the first day of Shikellamy High School cross-country practice. Made it about 200 meters before I had to stop and sit on the curb to catch my breath. Something made me go back the next day, and it's been pretty much non-stop since then. I still remember my first real pair of running shoes, the Nike Air Max (back in 1989 they were a HUGE deal), and the arguments I had to go through with my dad, he didn't want to pay $100 for running shoes for me because he said it was just a fad I was going through. FYI, my dad, who started running several years after me, somehow claims he has been running for 22 years. Go figure.

Anywho, since that day I've run races from 400 meters (PR of 55.0!) to 100K, and of course am about to tackle my first 100 miler. Finished 9 marathons (first one was the Chambersburg Marathon during my junior year of high school), and 13 races over the marathon distance. And I'm still undefeated in international competition, winning the Guantanamo Bay 5K while I was over there.

Didn't have a digital camera for the early years, but below are some of my more recent running pics.












4 comments:

Free Bus(c)h said...

Over-Achieving Racist...Someone needs to make you drink for your CRIMES!!!

ZZ Top Knot said...

Brownie you racist I think they should punish you by not giving you a down down u enjoy them to much. lol
I am out there for PPM again this year how do I find the hash with you off in leadville. Who can talk a lost out of towner in? lol
I am bringing a few LA Hash trinkets along & spare shoes & diving gear for raging river crossings ZZT

Impala Mama said...

Congratulations, Eighteener...I am damn proud. Does this mean you can vote now?

Nick said...

Or perform in adult films perhaps?


"Fisting Firemen XVI"???