Wednesday, February 02, 2022

Dry(ish) January

My alcohol (almost 100% beer) use has been trending upwards ever since this COVID thing started and got significantly higher over the holidays recently.  So I thought it might be a good idea to try a booze free January.  

I didn't make it.  I did go the first 15 days without any alcohol, finally caving in to drink a horrific IPA from the Colfax Ale Cellar in Raton, NM.  In fact, there were six days during the month when I had some beers.  Two of those six were fairly heavy drinking nights.  But still, 25 sober days was an outstanding achievement for me, by far the highest monthly number since 2004 when the whole Iraq thing really put a kebash on my drinking.

Honestly I don't feel any different.  I was worried that after a long dry period I'd feel 500% better both physically and mentally, and I'd be forced to think about a future with less beer, but that just wasn't the case.

Anywho, that's over now, just in time for stout month!


The numbers for January:

run - 19 runs, 105 miles, 18.5 hours, five run commutes

ride - 25 rides, 304 miles, 30.5 hours, six bike commutes

hike - 37 hikes, 120 miles, 49 hours

Eleven trips to CityRock, one good long run (18 miles), one winter 14er summit, a van trip to New Mexico, a 50 mile ride, and a chunk of HAMS completed.  Not a bad month considering I put a piece of wood through my foot.

2 comments:

The Padre said...

Cheers

Ufa88kh said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.