Thursday, June 17, 2021

Longs!

Finally, after living in Colorado for over 13 years, was able to bag Longs Peak on Sunday.  The hike/climb was the final project for the alpine climbing school and I'm glad I signed up for that.

Went up to Rocky Mountain National Park on Saturday afternoon for the 2.5 mile hike to the Battle Mountain campsite.  Ate supper and set up my bivy to turn in early.

Woke up at 12:45AM on Sunday, we were hiking soon after.  Easy miles over to Chasm Lake.  All these pics were taken by various others in the class.




Then, as the sun was starting to come up, we began the long climb up Lamb's Slide couloir.  For whatever reason I never got sketched out on the snow as I sometimes do on rock, and I enjoyed the climb.


Nice shot of the diamond from below.  Tommy Caldwell climbs here.


 



Once on top of the Notch we would do what I considered the crux of the entire course, and one of the scariest things I've ever done.  A 60 meter rappel off a rock into nothing but air.  I tried to fake it and look relaxed but I was about ready to shit my pants until I got to the ground.



After the rappel it was more snow and before I knew it we had reached the summit.



After a well deserved rest on the peak we began our descent down the Cables route.  Down climbing some snow, another (much more pleasant) rappel, a glissade, and we were down at the boulderfield, connecting up with the standard route most folks take to hike this mountain.



Uneventful down climb, but like most 14ers I think everyone just wanted to get finished.  We did see some elk on the way out to get the full Rocky Mountain National Park experience.


Just over 18 hours from the campsite to the car.  With the drive back home, I was up for over 24 hours.  Believe it was the first time doing that since my hundo days.

Such a fantastic day in the mountains.  Loved the course, it's given me some confidence to tackle some more mountaineering type routes, and I have some of those planned for this summer.

1 comment:

The Padre said...

Holy Smokes - Congrats Brother - Way To Prevail Through That Sketchy Sh*T - And Thank Everyone For The Righteous Photos - Well Done And Go Team Human

Cheers