Tuesday, November 26, 2019

Georgia (and a tiny bit of Alabama)

The Georgia recap before I forget everything.  Atlanta is a great trip to make from COS as it's one of our few direct flights.  Hopped off the plane and started heading down to Fort Benning, but $100 found a brewery along the way.  Beacon Brewing in La Grange, GA.  Good brews.


Beacon also does a collaboration with the Clermont Lounge in Atlanta.


After that stop it was off to the Infantry Museum to pick up our race packets. 


Driving down Victory Drive to Fort Benning definitely brought back some memories.  I was an infantryman during my Army days, and went to basic training and airborne school at Benning. 

We walked through the museum and it turns out the vehicle they have on display for the Iraq section was the actual vehicle I spent a lot of time on during my deployment.  I was one of the grunts who would walk alongside this vehicle, which I was fine with as it made me a much smaller target.  But at the end of the day it was always nice to get a ride back.




The bar at the museum had an 11B themed IPA.


Already covered my mediocre race so I won't rehash that.  I should point out that $100 PR'd in the half marathon, running 2:04.

After the race we walked over to the Chattahoochee Brewing Company in Phenix City, Alabama.  In this part of the world the Chattahoochee River not only serves as the border between Georgia and Alabama, but it's also the boundary between time zones.  It's also very deep in SEC country, which is absolutely ridiculous if you've never experienced it.  Auburn is only 40 miles away, but the Tua injury was definitely the talk of the weekend.

Columbus, GA, as seen from Alabama:



We then humped back across the river and hit a bunch of bars in Columbus.  Tried a lot of new beers but still made room for an old favorite:


We left early Sunday for the long drive to Atlanta.  Lots of extra miles to hit two more state high points. 


Sweetwater had been on our list for a long time, and $100 and I finally got to visit the brewery.  Back when $100 and I started dating we "discovered" Sweetwater at  Telluride Blues & Brews and they've been a favorite of ours ever since.  We usually only find it in airports, so it was nice to enjoy some pints that didn't cost $12.


We stayed at the Clermont Hotel which is literally on top of the Clermont Lounge.  But it was Sunday, and the Lounge was closed.  Super bummed about that but I'm headed back to the ATL to watch the Olympic trials so I'll visit then.  The hotel had a rooftop bar and lots of bars in the area, and we visited quite a few of those.


On Monday we went down to olympic centennial park and then ended up taking the tour of CNN.


Be advised: damn near everything in Atlanta is closed on Monday.  Luckily, the one brewery that was open was one we wanted to visit, Scofflaw Brewing.  Great beers but they can't handle my game!



And after Scofflaw it was back to the airport.  Awesome trip and I can't wait to go back!

No comments: