Wednesday, May 23, 2018

the big four

30 days until we take our first steps on the Colorado trail.  Will put up a few posts on the gear I'm using, as well as trying to paint a picture of how much this is all going to cost.

Osprey Exos 58 - 2 lbs, 12 ounces.    $220, but I used an REI discount a year ago to get her for $176.   Very popular pack and so far this has been a great purchase.


Marmot Force three person tent - 4 lbs, 5 oz.  Think we paid less than $200 for it last year at Sierra Trading Post.  Twice as heavy as a lot of the tents I see, but it needs to hold up for two humans and a dog for approximately 31 nights.


Thermarest Z-Lite - 14 ounces.  Paid $25 at Mountain Equipment Recyclers.  It has already been a mainstay on my bikepacking trips.


Enlightened Equipment Revalation - 19 oz, $355.  Paid a lot for this, but so far it has been bomber.  Rated at 20F, a temp at which I hope to never have to sleep outside in.  The dog slept under here with me last time we visited Lost Creek Wilderness and she loves it.  It's also black and gold which is very important to a Steelers/Pirates/Penguins fan.


Total weight is 9 pounds, 2 ounces.  A cost of $756.  That weight is not ultralight by any means, but it's not too terrible.  I could shave two pounds or more with a lighter tent, but again then we might be trading durability and comfort for that weight.  My goal is to keep the pack at or below 35 pounds fully loaded, including food and water.  Food is roughly two pounds a day, and I'll be carrying six liters of water, approximately 13.5 pounds.


The dog currently weighs in around 65 pounds.

3 comments:

Larry said...

Will just miss seeing you on your last stretch. I'll be going through Elk Creek and Molas Pass on July 18th/19th. I'll peel off and head uphill to the Cataract Saddle and stay at Putnam on the night of the 19th and hike out on the morning of HR so I can watch the smiling horde come up Bear Creek. Doing a 4 day loop with the boy out of Silverton. The wife is planning an 18-day stretch out of Waterton and I'm not having any part of that shitshow all the way to Durango. She'll be a little behind you and the timing doesn't look like it's there. Nice kit! Yeah, there are some seriously lightweight tents out there but they're not freestanding. It's a tradeoff. I take comfort in knowing I will be absolutely dry during a t-storm in the San Juans.

brownie said...

Looks like we will be taking a zero day in Silverton on July 24, though a lot could change by then. And your wife could catch us, we have lots of zeros and low mileage days planned.

Larry said...

If you're in Silverton around the 24th, she'll definitely catch you a few days before, unless it's near Cataract Lake (camp). She's splitting off the route and taking the HR course up Pole Creek over to Maggies hoping to run into HRrockers during the race. She'll be back on route at Stony Pass. Adds an extra mile, overall, vs. the CT.