Friday, October 06, 2017

run commute 49/accolade 18

So some shit went down while we were in Vegas.  We were drunk and not paying attention to the time, but we were either at the Double Down (two miles from the Mandalay Bay, which sounds close, but we were not in danger) or in a cab back to Fremont Street when the shooting happened.  I heard about a shooting back on Fremont, but didn't think much of it at the time.  Much later a beep on my phone woke me up at 2:30AM and I saw I had a bunch of text messages asking if we were all OK.  Then I found out the extent of what happened.  I went down to Fremont Street (at least six miles away from the Mandalay Bay) at that time, and there were two cops on every single corner, every one carrying either a shotgun or the cop version of the M-4.

And if that didn't cast a shadow on the trip, Tom Petty died the next day.  Sheesh.  Other than that, Mrs. Lincoln, how was the show?  It was somewhat creepy on our way to the airport though, when we passed the Mandalay you could see the window that had been smashed out.

I'll get some pics up soon.  Had a blast in Zion and in Vegas.  Happy five year anniversary to $100!

Going to try to get some regularity with the workouts going again, I've been somewhat undisciplined since Pikes.  Ran to/from work on Thursday, seven miles total.  We currently have three dogs so there was a good Garden hike super early on Friday, followed by a quick trip to Accolade before work.

Have a 5k tomorrow down at the Venetucci pumpkin farm.  Not expecting much but I hope to break 20.  A good start point to get back into 5k shape.

Forgot to mention I did my first road hundo down at Bikes & Brews in Canon City two weeks ago.  Eight hours.  Good stuff.











1 comment:

Bob Johnson said...

I did not know about the state flags on the Royal Gorge Bridge.