Friday, October 21, 2016

Mt. Desert Island

Pretty decent marathon for the (lack of) work I've been putting in lately.  Officially finished in 3:46:55, running the first half in 1:59:59 and coming back with a 1:47:23.  My 19th state.  Since my goal was to run the first half in two hours and then negative split, I'm pretty happy.  And I wasn't sore after the run so I was able to hike the shit out of Acadia Nat'l Park over the next few days.

The MDI race is fantastic.  The course is beautiful, skirting between Acadia and the Atlantic (technically it might be a bay) at a time of the season when the leaves are exploding in color.  Not really a PR course though - had I been pushing the limit, there were hills at mile 20 and mile 23+ that might have broke me.  They have good beer from Atlantic Brewing and food at the finish line, and if you don't want to be among the crowd there are several pubs in the small town of Northeast Harbor.  We went to one such place and $100 had a lobster so fresh that it had to have been crawling around happily on the ocean floor around the time I passed the halfway point.  I had a hot dog and fries at this place, and that was a damn good lunch!

I've notified Strava, we'll see if I really do get a pair of shoes.



3 comments:

Bob Johnson said...

Acadia is beautiful. I've been there more times than I can count but oddly just once in the fall.
Looking forward to some hiking pictures.

Bob Johnson said...

I just clicked your link. I didn't know that Atlantic Brewing was in that location. That used to be Bar Harbor Brewing. Used to always sit by a fire drinking their Thunder Hole Ale and Cadillac Mt Stout.

brownie said...

We spent quite a bit of time at that Atlantic Brewing location!