Tuesday, April 20, 2010

3:49:45

It is what it is.

Certainly not my best day. Was on PR pace through 16-ish miles. Then the wheeles came off. Had all kinds of problems all day long - had to hit the port-o-crappers three times in the first twelve miles (and still hit the halfway mark in 1:29:36, so at least I was trying), and three more times after that. Every time I came out of the shitter my hamstrings, glute, and lower back seemed to get stiffer and stiffer. Also got a huge blister on my left foot. You can see from my splits that I didn't just slow down, I suffered an implosion of epic proportions. Had this been any other marathon I may have dropped out. And I'll be able to live with the fact that I gave it what I could and it didn't work out much more than had I showed up and sandbagged a 3:29 lame effort.

During the race I could feel my doom approaching, and in races past that feeling has always caused me to find religion, go vegan, quit drinking, give up sex, become a monk, train harder, and do whatever else it would take to get a faster time, and that always makes for a horrible experience. On Monday I told myself to suffer, but to at least enjoy the experience and take in the sights and sounds of the day. So overall, the race, and the entire weekend, was a lot of fun and something I'll never forget (though there are parts of the hash I can't remember!). For the record, anytime there was an uphill, I at least maintained the old standby airborne shuffle no matter how bad it hurt.

Kudos to Brandon and Wiley for not only PRing, but breaking the three hour barrier! Yunz guys better watch your backs at Leadville though...

16 comments:

Nick said...

Enough of these stupid road races already. Sucks, but good to see you being positive about it.

So a 1:29 first half followed by 2:20 back half. Ouch!

If it's any consolation, Timmy Parr went 1:13, 1:43.

Travis said...

Brownie - great first half and I am happy to hear you decided to enjoy it. I am here in Boston (my wife ran), and what a spectacle. So, what were you wearing? I was at the top of Heartbreak spectating and I thought I spotted you. I got a picture as you were running away, I think.

brownie said...

I was wearing a green Colorado Running Company tank top and my usual desert camo floppy hat.

Great crowd on Heartbreak, as well as the rest of the course. Thanks for being out there!

Travis said...

Sorry - not you. Impostor with a floppy hat but a red race shirt, black shorts. I am curious if you would consider returning? My wife says it was great (and worth it, this time), but she is not convinced a return trip is worth the $$$ and chaos.

brownie said...

It was a great time and something I've been looking forward to knocking off my bucket list, but I won't be back. Next year's early season road marathon for me is in Eugene.

GZ said...

Quit drinking? Give up sex?

Who is this imposter that has taken over this blog?

AJW said...

Really glad you didn't dnf. That would have been ugly.

I suggest giving up sex and drinking twice as much

Anonymous said...

Way to hang in there and get it done, buddy! Had a similar run in 2004 at Boston, except the heat was the culprit.

Brett said...

I was twice as sore after my last road marathon as I was after doing 50+ miles on a trail.

Road marathons freaking hurt. I don't know how in the hell people run those USATF national championship road 50ks and 100ks and crap.

At least you left your (skid) mark on that town.

Anonymous said...

congrats on hanging in there and getting it done.

naresh

Brandon Fuller said...

Wanted to beat you at the tape. Oh well. You still are the raining Stocking Shuffle champ. That's gotta keep you from throwing yourself off a bridge. Right? I mean there were like 50 homeless dudes watching you beat me at that race. This showdown only had 500,000 spectators to witness the devastating loss.

Rick said...

Pre '72 went for gold and got 4th - he didn't regret it it. Like you said sandbagging sucks -going for sub 3 was the only way to go.

Anonymous said...

Good job holding it all together when it goes bad, it is after all BOSTON!! But just a road race, back to the trails.

LK said...

No shame in what you were going after. If I would have been a betting man, I would be broke. Now, get the hell off the road and back on the trails! You've got the ultimate race coming up in early July. I'm jealous. Can't make it there this year since I'm going, instead, to spectate at the track in Auburn and see if Pretty Boy can 3-peat and if JW can keep his "M" streak going.

zagbag said...

What the hell did you eat the night before?? Must have been the Shiner Bock runs after hashing...

waldo said...

If it makes you feel any better, I would have had a stroke or broke my ankle in the first quarter mile...Your non-running friends are very impressed! Congrats!