Sunday, March 11, 2007

run #66 - Falcon Trail

Actually behaved myself this weekend and got early enough to run with CRUD on Saturday. Met at the Sante Fe trailhead at Woodman road. The plan was to run the four or so miles onto the Air Force Academy and do the Falcon loop. Supposed to be about 20 miles.

Only four of us showed, a pretty small turnout. The other three were much more faster than me, so I knew I was in for a long day.

The first two miles along the front range trail were uneventful, but then the trail running started. Stream crossings, shiggy, rolling hills, it was awesome. The Falcon trail just might be my new favorite trail here in the Springs. You do all kinds of technical trail running through the woods, and then pop out for a breathtaking view of Blodgett Peak. Then it's back into the woods for more killer trail running and you pop out right by the Cadet Chapel. Even the part that runs through the golf course is fun, kinda brings back memories of my cross-country days.

I had an inspired run and managed to keep up with Sticky Fingers for a full two and a half hours before falling back. I was hurting, but I managed to rally and keep up with the chase pack for the rest of the run. The chase pack included a former Western States 100 mile winner and a guy who had just completed his 88th marathon, so I still had to hoof it to keep up.

Ended up calling it a 21 mile day, though everyone else thought it might be longer. I was sore as hell the rest of the day, even taking DFL honors at the Pikes Peak hash later on.

Start time: 7AM
Distance: 21.0 miles - Falcon Trail
Time: 3:59:13
Pace: 11:23 per mile
Weather: 45F

4 comments:

Late Nite Drive Thru said...

what distinguishes "technical" trail running from regular trail running?

brownie said...

Technical trails have roots, rocks, steep decents/ascents, basically stuff that you gotta carefully watch out for or it'll make you fall. Non-technical would be groomed trails and stuff like that.

Catwoman said...

I love Falcon Trail but I usually bike it.

BTW it's Stinky Fingers, not Sticky!

Late Nite Drive Thru said...

thanks for the lesson!