Tuesday, March 20, 2007

job hunt

So I’ve been fairly fed up at my job lately, and have been actively looking for another one.

Had an interview up in Denver two weeks ago with the Department of Labor. Wouldn’t have taken the job, just wanted to get in some interview practice. Which is a good thing, since I ended up getting lost and showed up a full 20 minutes late. Weird interview, it went well but the guy asking all the questions kept telling me to apply for a higher paying job with the same company. I applied for that one, but it’s in Englewood, and I don’t really wanna leave the Springs.

Despite getting shitty drunk at the Nuggets game last week, I still made it to some special “multi-tasking/typing” test to work for the City of Fountain 911 dispatch center. Nursing a raging hangover, I was clocked at 59 words per minute and got a 97% on the other part of the exam. The lady in charge said it was a great score and they would contact me for an interview. I think the hours for that would be pretty weird though, nights and weekends and stuff like that. Not sure I wanna get into that, but it would be an exciting job. And I’m sorry, C-4, but I didn’t get all dressed up to come bring your phone back…

Got a call from the DOC today and I’ve passed the background check on the road to becoming a parole officer. I’m scheduled later this month for a psychological exam. The DOC wouldn’t be wasting this much money on someone they weren’t interested in hiring, so this might be looking pretty good. In a perfect world I’d get a job here in the parole office, which happens to be the same office I work in now, the only difference is that I’d actually be above the poverty line for once. Plus, I’d get to go to the PPCC Peace Officer course, and I’d be allowed to carry a gun. That would go over really well at the Kimchi hash!

If things really go to hell quickly here, I can always get put on orders for the Air Force. They always need cops out at Cheyenne Mountain.

Ugh, is it 5 o'clock yet???

10 comments:

Impala Mama said...

Good luck in your search, it would be nice to see you happy about what you are doing. Go for the job with the gun. I am working on getting a promotion so that I can carry one at my job, too! I am crossing my fingers about getting my clearance...
Anyway, I am glad you are searching, I know you have a lot more to offer than what you are doing currently.

brownie said...

Sheesh, I already said I'd walk your dog, no need to be kissing my ass!

clea said...

All jobs suck. What does Pancakeiscute have to do to get a link on your blog?

brownie said...

You hafta promise to buy enough Lone Star to fill our Prickly Pear mugs next time I visit Austin!

Pittchick said...

the job search kinda sucks here, too. I hope you find something soon.

Nick said...

Good luck with your hunt, Brownie. I hope you don't shoot me if you land the "gun job."

C-4: Consider tonight's bedroom excursion a successful pre-clearance test. The final will be this weekend. Wear that bra I like so much....

Lulu said...

Psychological test? You're fucked.

brownie said...

It's the lie-detector test I'm worried about...

Impala Mama said...

Sweet! I love my interviews...

Jes said...

When you're a parole officer and I'm kicking ass as a bounty hunter maybe we'll get to work together.

Just like old times at The Social Club.