Thursday, January 29, 2009

25

This is the latest time waster on facebook, thought I'd post my list here since it's a slow blog day.


1. I started running in August of 1989, a few days before I began high school. My parents refused to buy me new running shoes because they thought it was a fad I would soon grow bored with.

2. I have a fear of heights. It did not stop me from breezing through airborne school. It does affect my bouldering, even when I'm only four or five feet off the ground.

3. I spent a summer in Philadelphia working as a bike messenger. It was my favorite job ever. Hardest I've ever worked for minimum wage.

4. I took dead last in the district IV cross-country race my freshman year in high school. I would win the race as a senior.

5. I've seen Blues Traveler over 15 times.

6. I moved to Manitou Springs because I used to vacation there and loved the place. I only planned on being in Colorado until I bagged all the 14ers here. Love affairs with Hardrock and Leadville may keep me here a bit longer though.

7. Someday I will live in Pittsburgh again. South Oakland is still my favorite place in the world.

8. My fantasy job is to be a journalist. I feed that monster by keeping a blog and writing for the Pikes Peak Road Runners newsletter.

9. I started a hash at Guantanamo Bay in 2003 and it has been running and drinking every week since.

10. My jeep doesn't have a heater.

11. Two things I have no urge to ever do: cook or ski.

12. I hate the fact that the highest honor I'll ever receive, the CIB, was earned in a war that I don't (and never did) believe in.

13. I ran my first marathon, Chambersburg (PA), at the age of 16. Finished in 3:20.

14. I haven't seen my parents since 2004. I still talk to them at least weekly and e-mail my mom almost daily.

15. I tried out for the Pitt cross-country team. The coach said they'd take the top three finishers out of 20+ hopefuls. I finished second. The coach took one guy.

16. I once swam across Town Lake (Austin, TX) so drunk that I got lost.

17. I spent a year in podiatry school. I learned a lot more about the bars in Philadelphia than I did about feet.

18. I once outran a cop while streaking and waving a Terrible Towel.

19. I've taken a piss on the wheel of the Madden Cruiser. Sure wish I woulda had to take a dump then...

20. I can’t stand the hypocracy of church. I believed Jessie Ventura when he said organized religion is a crutch for the weak (that’s about the only time I’ve ever actually read Playboy too…).

21. When I was in high school I began to equate marriage and having kids to boredom. I have too much of an adventurous spirit to ever settle down.

22. I would much rather go outside and play than watch a sporting event on TV. Unless it’s Pitt basketball.

23. I have a part time job washing dishes for minimum wage because for some reason it reminds me of my high school/college days. The free beer doesn’t hurt either.

24. I have pissed off a lot of people throughout the years, most of them women. It really doesn’t bother me.

25. It boggles my mind that the law allows us to smoke cigarettes and drink alcohol but not use marijuana. Like Peter Tosh said, “legalize it!” Free pint at the Townhouse Lounge who can identify the artist and song where that line is from…

6 comments:

katie said...

yell fire by michael franti & spearhead. you're getting weak. you're going to have to learn to cook very soon...

Impala Mama said...

Also, Legalize It, by Cypress Hill.

aka Moogy said...

I'm interested in #2...any problems at HR from this? I have the same thing. Also f'ing spiders!!

MW said...

hey, what ever happened to the photo of the year contest.
i'm too lazy to find the link.
curious if you won or not.

last time i checked you had a healthy lead.

Hone said...

You are one strange dude.











In a good way.

brownie said...

Moogy, it didn't bother me at all. As long as I'm on the ground I'm fine. However, there are people with exposure issues that have trouble at HR. I think the worst part, coming out of Ouray (it will be going into Ouray this year), is done at night for guys around our pace so that helps.

Wiley, I'm not sure. Kinda lazy about it myself as well,