Tuesday, April 01, 2008

Garden training run #1

Not all of us slept in this morning. I drug myself out of bed at 5AM to hit the Pikes Peak Road Runners Garden training run. This is a pretty decent run attended by those willing to rise early, not sleepyheads like Susan.

Anywho, I decided this year to bail on the trail guys and hang with the fast group. They have a bunch of groups this year - fast, slow, two trail groups, and a social group. The fast group is a bunch of tri-dorks and other serious road runners. Wasn't sure I could hang, but I figured I'd try and at least get a good workout out of it.

We started at 6AM sharp, and a group of three shot out of the gate. I followed. The Garden is a bunch of rolling hills, it's actually a pretty hard run. But I hung on. Eventually, two of the group (a guy and a gal) faded, and it was down to two of us. Several times the remaining guy tried to drop me on the hills, but I held on. And on the final hill, I attacked, leaving the guy in the dust. So, at least for today, I was the fastest guy at the run!

6.7 miles in 46:32, under seven minutes per mile. Pretty good pace for the hills of the Garden. I'd like to run around 66 minutes for the upcoming Garden 10 mile, this was a good start.

No comments: