Sunday, May 01, 2011

Kohl Elementary 5K

As you can see, I was totally focused on racing and was definitely not checking out the ass of the chick in front of me...

18:38 at the Kohl Elementary 5K. 6:05 at the first mile, 12:20 at mile two. Slow time due to the crappy conditions, but I was happy with the race. Passed lots of folks the entire race, though I just couldn't run down the top female. And I tried hard, probably gaining 20 seconds on her over the final 1.1 miles.

Passed Brandon on a long downhill just after mile one. Snuck in behind him and allowed him to view my shadow for a while. He knew he was either about to be stabbed by Freddy Krueger or passed by me, and he might have preferred the former.

Got in with a pack of other dudes to try to break the wind a bit, and I noticed GZ was not too far ahead. And he was all alone, so I knew he was suffering with the conditions. After a quarter mile or so I broke from the pack I was in and went after him. I got about 15 feet behind him and he suddenly made a U-turn to head back for his son. Damn you! I'm not quite in GZ's league anymore and I'm sure he would have dropped me over the final mile had I caught him, but it was nice to dream for a bit. Accidentally used some technology to figure out my pace during this section, as one of them fancy radar speed limit signs clocked me doing nine miles per hour. Slowest mile of the race for me, but it doesn't seem like I slowed as much as everyone else, thanks to the boost I got from dropping B and chasing GZ.

Had to work hard that final mile though. I thought Brandon had fallen way behind but I shot a glance back at mile two and he was still alive. Passed quite a few folks over the final 1.1 miles, but couldn't quite catch the female winner. Final 1.1 miles in 6:18, meaning I probably closed in 5:45ish pace, pretty fast for me.

Maybe in ten years or so when the wind finally eases up on the Front Range I can sneak in a sub-18 5K.

The race also served as a blogger convention, besides GZ and Brandon we had Ryan, Lucho, Aaron, and JV out there. Big props to those guys who do this sport, kick my ass, and manage family life.

Springs was well represented, with Adam Rich taking the win and Andy Rinne grabbing 7th place in a pretty tough field. Boulder who?

How is it my 5K race reports are longer than my hundred mile reports?

6 comments:

GZ said...

That is Lori Walker in front of you. For what it is worth, she and I have been fairly close in a few 5ks over the last year. You being that close to her means you probably would have whipped up on me.

Brandon Fuller said...

Great seeing you out there. Couldn't have lost to a nicer guy. That's 3-1 on me now. I have work to do.

Bummer on the wind though. Every 5K in Colorado seems mangled by it. Annoying.

ChrisB said...

Nice race. Sounded like a tough one from all the reports. Still smokin' fast in my book.

Anonymous said...

JT, the bib goes on your shirt, not your shorts! You're lucky to have even gotten a time!

All kidding aside, solid 5K time, nice work.

wrong way said...

Krueger? -he couldn't harm a fly. Jason on the other hand would have made for a much better analogy.

brownie said...

I'd take Jason in a fight as well. But the shadow I made Brandon watch for a while looked like Freddy with the hat...